2 stopwatches 1 com port

All discussions here

2 stopwatches 1 com port

Unread postby targettimer » Tue May 15, 2012 12:58 am

Hi can I get a better understanding of how the com port external control works from you.
I want to use two timers ( this I have accomplished with no known issues), for testing purposes I have used separate hot-keys to start and stop both stopwatches independently (again no issues). I now want to use com port 1 a db-9 connector (com port works - tested) I hooked up a push button "normally open" switch to pins 4 & 6 and setup first timer, everything works great. Second timer is setup to same com port same kind of switch and to pins 7 & 8 but when I configure that timer I get the error "can't open the com port 1". Any suggestions? Did I miss something? I am running this system on an old laptop using windows xp... side note because I didn't mention this, if I use one timer and change the configuration choice of which switch I use eg. pins 4 & 6 or pins 7 & 8 the timer and com port work fine, I just can't get it to run both timers off the one port with out an error"
targettimer

Re: 2 stopwatches 1 com port

Unread postby Stopwatch » Tue May 15, 2012 12:39 pm

targettimer wrote:Second timer is setup to same com port same kind of switch and to pins 7 & 8 but when I configure that timer I get the error "can't open the com port 1". Any suggestions? Did I miss something?

Unfortunately COM ports are not shareable.
Stopwatch
Site Admin

Return to Main forum