General questions

All discussions here

General questions

Unread postby FlesHBoX » Tue Apr 29, 2014 5:01 am

Hi, I have a small Video Game Let's Play YouTube channel and I've been looking for a good timer app to use while recording. I've got a couple things I'm specifically looking for and was wondering is anyone could answer a couple inquiries.

• Will the hotkeys work when XNote does not have focus. Some games have to run full screen, so getting to other applications requires alt+tabbing and this can sometimes lead to unstable behavior in some games (and introduce some lag, setting the timer off a little). I would like to be able to use the hotkey from within the game to start the timer when I am ready to start the "episode"
  • Is it possible to have a "warning" of sorts when the timer is almost done, like a 1:30 advance warning so I can start my outro bits without going over time. Some games can be involved enough that I don't even stop to look, and since I am trying to limit my episodes to 20 minutes, it is very easy to go past this timeframe without even thinking if I get on a good ramble or rant.
  • Is it possible for the timer to "wrap"? Sometimes we will record long sessions without breaks but still be able to easily divide the video up into 20 minute episodes later. I'd like to be able to have the timer, once finished, automatically start over again, looping in 20 minute (or whatever) increments each time without having to manually start it over again (this goes back to the "too involved int he game to remember I have a timer" thing...
  • Can the audio be configured to use a specific device on my computer? I use Virtual Audio Cable to create virtual audio devices on my machine so I can route various sound to separate audio tracks while recording in order to make mixdown easier to handle errant noises and what not (ducking out my room mate knocking on my door or someone on skype coughing or what not). Being able to have an audible alert go off that doesn't get recorded would be SUPREMELY handy.
  • This is just a wish list item here that I don't actually expect to be able to get anywhere without some custom programming, but is it possible to have the timer display on my tablet (win8) but be controlled from my desktop so I can have the tablet propped up behind my keyboard as a large visual display while still being able to start/stop/pause from my desktop.
  • This is more of a sub-inquiry of the previous. IF the previous is possible, can I still have the alert sounds play on my desktop?

Thanks for any answers you can provide!

-FlesHBoX
FlesHBoX

Re: General questions

Unread postby Stopwatch » Tue Apr 29, 2014 6:30 pm

FlesHBoX wrote:[*]Will the hotkeys work when XNote does not have focus.

Yes.

FlesHBoX wrote:[*]Is it possible to have a "warning" of sorts when the timer is almost done,

No. But it's planned for the next release. Half-made concept can be found at viewtopic.php?f=3&t=892
Also you are able to launch 2 timers: first is "usual" and second is "warning", and start them with the same hotkey.

FlesHBoX wrote:[*]Is it possible for the timer to "wrap"?

Yes. Set Restart the timer option.

FlesHBoX wrote:[*]Can the audio be configured to use a specific device on my computer?

Sorry, no.

FlesHBoX wrote:, but is it possible to have the timer display on my tablet (win8) but be controlled from my desktop

No either. There is only a half-made concept at viewtopic.php?f=3&t=900
Stopwatch
Site Admin

Re: General questions

Unread postby FlesHBoX » Tue Apr 29, 2014 9:48 pm

Awesome, thanks for the reply.
FlesHBoX

Return to Main forum