Testimonial: Using XNote for race timing

All discussions here

Unread postby Filip Nowak » Fri Sep 24, 2010 11:29 pm

A group I'm a part of was organizing a local running race (The Newark Mile,) and we needed to figure out some way to easily time and present the results of the race. I came across the XNote Stopwatch and found its Excel integration to be a perfect compliment to a system we developed using Excel and runner tags.

Every runner in the race was assigned a bib number and a removable tag which had to be worn during the race. As each runner crossed the finish line, we used the stopwatch to snap their time directly into Excel using XNote as they crossed the finish line and collected their numbered tags as they made their way through a finishing chute. Afterward we just had to input the bib numbers into the Excel sheet next to the snapped times and the runner information was automatically entered with the time using a vlookup from another sheet. We just set up a table with a laptop by the finish line (see photo below), and within minutes we had professional looking results and were ready to present the race awards. Like I said, XNote worked perfectly for us!

Filip Nowak

Re: Testimonial: Using XNote for race timing

Unread postby faivo50 » Sat Nov 20, 2010 7:26 am

Hi Filip, i would like to know how you did your excel formula using the VLOOKUP in making your participants information. I will have a fun run this coming December and i have already xnotestowatch V1.6 installed in my laptop. I have a hardtime organizing my participants information so that in will be easier to put on in the race result. Please help me on this.
faivo50

Unread postby Filip Nowak » Sun Nov 21, 2010 9:50 pm

Hi faivo,

The best way to set up your workbook is to have your results set up on one sheet (e.g. "sheet 1") and your runners' registration information on another sheet (e.g. "sheet 2".) The first column on sheet 2 will have a series of bib/runner numbers as well as columns for the runner information that you want collect (Name, age. gender. etc.) On sheet 1 (I have a screenshot of my sheet 1 above,) you will will pre-populate a vlookup formula into the columns to look up runner information from sheet 2 and put it into sheet 1 based on bib number. That way, when you enter the bib number in sheet 1, the runner information in sheet 2 will automatically be put into your sheet 1 (results sheet.) The easiest way to set up your formulas is to do it once per column using the Excel "Insert Function" feature (the "fx" next to the status bar) then copying the formula down the column. The following video gives a pretty good simple tutorial about setting up a vlookup:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KXhM-wBM7U4

Also, if you provide me with your email address, I can send you a sheet with the formulas already set up.
Filip Nowak

Unread postby Stopwatch » Mon Nov 22, 2010 6:15 pm

Filip Nowak wrote:Also, if you provide me with your email address, I can send you a sheet with the formulas already set up.

Here it is.
Attachments
Info list and result.xlsx
(14.11 KiB) Downloaded 8110 times
Stopwatch
Site Admin

Unread postby Noisia » Wed Mar 25, 2015 1:36 am

Would you be willing to share some information on how to build a DIY IR sensor gate?

Thank you in advance!
Noisia

Unread postby twistedbench » Fri Aug 07, 2015 2:28 pm

I set up an excel spreadsheet using VLOOKUP and it worked great for timing a mountain bike race with over 60 participants.

I used a couple photo cells, similar to those used on garage door openers and a couple USB mice to connect them to the laptops at the start and finish lines. I used this allot in 2011 and 2012 but it has been gathering dust lately. If anybody is interested I would sell the start and finish line sensors fairly cheap.
twistedbench

Unread postby networktiming » Tue Sep 08, 2015 3:47 pm

@twistedbench

Do you have pictures of the setup you have and price?
networktiming

Unread postby twistedbench » Tue Sep 08, 2015 5:04 pm

busy at the moment here, but later today I will do some digging to see if I have pictures. Guess I could always set it up and take some. And I will look up what the costs were.
twistedbench

Unread postby twistedbench » Wed Sep 09, 2015 2:15 am

I tried and was hopefully successful at sending you a PM. I haven't figured out how to upload pictures here.

In case the information is useful to others my setup consists of:

A seco-larm Enforcer Photoelectric beam sensor
a BEN-5M Photoelectric sensor
4 mini tripods (2 for sensors, 2 for reflectors)
2 USB mice one button wired to each of the photoelectric sensors
2 - 120v to 12vac adapters to power sensors.
a couple plastic tool boxes to hold these parts for the start line and finish line.
total cost of this was about $131 Canadian dollars.

in addition at the start and finish line I use a small inverter (300W and 400W are what I have) to power the laptop and adapters for the photocells from a car battery. Really helps if you have vehicle access to the start and finish lines but I have hauled the car battery and timing equipment in several km to a finish line on a Bob trailer.

You also require the licenced Xnote Stopwatch program so you can use the excel integration feature.
twistedbench

Unread postby deadrocker » Thu Mar 17, 2016 5:17 am

The whole excel integration seems to work flawlessly and has made most of our work easy and simple. I was just amazing how worse it would have been 10 years before without it. we are so lucky to be in our time.
:::::::::::::::::::::::
deadrocker
Jewish classifieds
:::::::::::::::::::::::
deadrocker

Next

Return to Main forum