Testimonial: Kayak racing event timing

All discussions here

Unread postby vdemeyer » Tue Jan 31, 2012 7:39 pm

Every year my sports club organizes an international kayak regatta in our town Zwevegem (Flanders, Belgium, near the French border) (http://www.kskz.be/regatta11.php).
This year we had 293 athletes participating in 204 races.

As every race consisted of about 8 contestants, and there is a race every 3 minutes, who takes about 5 minutes, I was looking for a program that could run multiple timers and take snapshots of the time for each participant in every race. During my search I came across Xnote stopwatch. this program was really usefull because I could assign hotkeys to every single timer, and the data was automatically written towards, excel.

We were 3 people sitting in front of the finish, 2 of them had a laptop with Xnote installed, we only used one at the time as the second one was just for backup reasons. On the laptop 3 timers were predefined. Before the start of a race, the race number was added in an excel, and the excel plug in adapted. As the boats crossed the finish line, the time was taken of every single athlete, in the same time the presenter and photo finish responsible wrote down the numbers of the boats as they crossed the finish line. Every X races the excel was saved on a network drive from where it got integrated in the results file. By using Xnote our system was more reliable: the program never failed, so our backup wasn't used at all. It was more efficient, faster and less labor intensive. So this innovation was very appreciated by all co-workers involved. We will be following the further development of Xnote from a short distance, as this first try opened a lot of opportunities for the future.

Program at work

images of the race
vdemeyer

Re: Testimonial: Kayak racing event timing

Unread postby jenrobzik » Sun Nov 25, 2012 2:27 am

ahm!!!! hi.... vdemeyer
WoW!! nice picture that you post...
i like kayak race love it..
^_^
jenrobzik

Return to Main forum